W3: 3/18/2024 - MEXICO CCM

I've been on my mission for almost a month now. I think I'm almost 4% done. Low key most of the days feel the same but it's alright. 

I wish I could talk more about Mexico City but really we call the MTC the "Carcel" (Jail). There are actually a striking number of similarities between the MTC and Jail. 

1. Everyone wakes up and goes to sleep at the same time (630AM and 1030PM) 
2. There is a dress code that is strictly observed. White Shirt and Tie is required 
3. Three meals a day guaranteed in a cafeteria with really dull knives 
4. A huge 20 foot wall that goes all around the campus with barbed wire at the top 
5. Limited communication with the outside world 
6. Opportunities to better your education (Spanish Class) 
7. Scheduled gym time 

It's really more for our safety but it is still a little weird sometimes. I really enjoy my Spanish class. Most of the time it just turns into us talking in Spanish. I can communicate pretty well with the people here but also a lot of them have to speak slower so us gringos can understand. I'm probably going to get to Chile and have no idea what people are saying. My favorite Latino district left this week. We were able to get some pretty cool photos together before they left though. 

I still haven't really unpacked one of my suitcases yet. I wear my favorite black slacks and a short sleeve white shirt everyday. I did buy myself a new tie and tie pins at la tienda.  We have a little store inside the CCM.  I haven't had to use any of my 3 pairs of winter gloves. It's also been nice that I haven't had to sleep in a sleeping bag yet. 

I've still been trying to run a little bit and let me tell you it doesn't really get much easier. I've also been dabbling in some volleyball and some pickle ball (shout-out to the late night pickle ball crew) . I think I might challenge the Presidency here to a pickle ball match.  

Anyways, I hope you all have a great week filled with sunshine and rainbows! 

Thank you to everyone who sent me an email. I look forward to getting emails and hearing what is happening outside of the carcel.   

Sent with love from Mexico, 
Elder McMillan 

Favorite Pics From the Week.  I have taken about 450 pictures.  Top to Bottom. 1. The Mexico Temple which takes us about 45 minutes to drive to. We go on a bus with about 40 other missionaries. We had to listen in Spanish and I was worried the entire time about remembering things in Spanish. 2. Me and Elder Ridd muggin it 3. a selfie I took with the 5D with me, Hna Palmer (going to Puerto Montt), Elder Christensen, Elder Brossard (mi companero) and Elder Ridd. 4. Me, Elder Reynolds and Martinez. 5. Me and my guy Elder Reynolds 6. Our favorite Latino District before they were sent off to their missions. WE got in trouble for being out past curfew to take pics. 7. Hermano Miranda made me a mango sculpture. He comes into our class to help teach because there are too many teachers and not enough districts right now.  He likes to hang out with us.  
 








HISTORY OF THE MEXICO MTC (from Heidi) 


After hearing about 'el carcel', I did some research.  When the church changed the mission age, they needed more mtc's so converted one of their schools to an MTC which is where Spanish Speaking missionaries go who will serve in the America's.  

The LDS church built a lot of schools in Mexico in the 60s to provide better educational opportunities for the country.  This one housed about  2500 students from all over the Mexico Republic.  23,000 graduates have graduated from this school over the last 50 years. It was converted to the CCM (Centro do capacitación Misional) in 2013. 

It is located in a busy area of Mexico City.  Scott said the weather is really nice but the smog is bad and the altitude is high, above 7500 feet. It takes Scott  about 45 minutes by bus every Friday to get to the Temple because the traffic is so bad. The Benemérito Mexico Temple (announced in April 2022) will be built on the same campus as the MTC which will be nice for the missionaries.

It's like a mini college campus with 53 homes, two large apartment buildings, 12 classroom and instruction buildings, an administration building, and a gym and auditorium. There is also a clinic, a cafeteria, an MTC store 'la tienda', and computer lab where I read and send emails. It is on 90 acres of land.

Exercise facilities include several large playing fields and outdoor courts for volleyball, tennis, pickle ball, and basketball. There is also a large indoor gym with a weight room (Scott tried that once and didn't like it. He said there is no point when there is no purpose), volleyball and basketball courts.

The MTC can have 1200 missionaries (2nd largest behind provo) at a time. Right now there are only 400 missionaries since most kids leave at the end of school breaks.  Scott said they have teachers come and hang out with their class because there aren't enough missionaries for them to teach right now. The church employs return missionaries throughout the year and keeps them employed even when there aren't a ton of missionaries.

I think it is a pretty nice facility!  I went to the Spain CCM which is now closed.  It was really small with 2 floors of a building for missionaries. We were allowed to go around Madrid by metro on our Preparation or free days.  

                
Photos of working and eating areas inside the Mexico Missionary Training CenterPhotos of working and eating areas inside the Mexico Missionary Training Center

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NORTHGATE SWIM SENIOR DAY

W7: Quellon, Chileo Islands